Sunday, February 7, 2016

Why don't we complain?

   Our task this week was to read through the author's point of view, or in other words, read like a writer. Before reading William Buckley's "Why Don't We Complain?", I envisioned a dry narrative on how to complain. As I read through Buckley's writing, my attention was caught almost immediately. The style of writing in the 1960's, I imagine, was much more proper between author and reader, but Buckley took a more laid-back approach to reach his audience. His personal anecdotes really strengthened his claim and I think it worked in his favor because it was easier for his audience to relate and agree with him. I also noticed his vocabulary wasn't too informal or too proper, but achieved a perfect medium to reach his audience. Through his use of diction and day to day examples, it's pretty clear Buckley knew who his audience was. 

   His argument in context to our modern day life is just as relevant as it was back then. I think this is something we could read now, not knowing it was written in the 60's, and be able to relate to it. His timeless examples are something we experience in our lives on a daily basis. Being able to captivate an audience's attention is something thats pretty important in everything we write. 

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize the piece was written in 1960, which makes it depressing to see that political apathy and movie theater issues are still relevant today.

    I don't know about the 1960's being more "proper." That was around a time when culture was at a turning point towards a more loose/free attitude. It was also a period with a lot of political significance. I could imagine writers back then writing less "proper" and more laid-back during that time.

    ReplyDelete